Many people throughout background have dealt with for the eradication the slavery. We’ve heard of and also studied countless of this brave men and women in our history classes. Perhaps you flourished up having dinner conversations about those who sought to finish slavery. Maybe you are having those exact conversations with your children now, due to the fact that you understand that enslavement is still, come this day, together a common problem. Every little thing the case may be, chances are that you have heard of some, or all, of the human being on our perform of famous abolitionists in history.
You are watching: Which abolitionist was known as "black moses"?
1. Frederick Douglass—Frederick Douglass to be born into slavery in Maryland in the 1800s, and went top top to come to be the very first African-American citizens to hold a high position within the U.S. Government. When Douglass to be sold, the mam of his owner taught Douglass the alphabet, in spite of the ban on teaching slaves to read and write. Douglass’s capability to read sleek his political views and human legal rights ideology, and gave him the impetus to do something around it.
2. Harriet Beecher Stowe—Harriet Beecher Stowe was among 13 kids born in a family members that, with complete unanimity, cared about social justice. She created Uncle Tom’s Cabin, a novel the conveyed the harsh truth of African-American slaves in the united States. Some also say that this book contributed come the start of the polite War. Not just was Stowe’s book important as a narrative come the abolition movement, yet it also helped wrap the means for women in publicly affairs.
3. Sojourner Truth—Sojourner fact was born right into slavery in brand-new York, and became an essential voice in the fight because that racial and gender equality. Reality escaped slavery in 1827 and may be finest known for her speech, “Ain’t i a Woman?” delivered at the Ohio Women’s civil liberties Convention in 1851.
4. Harriet Tubman—Harriet Tubman was also born right into slavery, however she eventually ended up being one the the most necessary “conductors” of the underground Railroad. Tubman was detailed as being brilliant and also brave, do the pilgrimage to the south at the very least 19 times in order come guide much more African-American slaves to freedom.
5. John Brown—John Brown aided both freed and also escaped slaves uncover refuge follow me the course of the underground Railroad. He also created the league of Gileadites, a group created to defend black citizen from slave hunters. John Brown was executed top top December 2, 1859, after that was caught during the fail raid top top Harper’s Ferry.
Each that these civilization might have various stories, but they each have actually something in common: they cared deeply around helping men, women, and children in need.
Slavery still exist today, and Restavek liberty wants to view a civilization in i beg your pardon it has actually been eliminated. We are working every job to end slavery in Haiti, especially child slavery.
See more: What Does De Donde Es Mean In Spanish? De Donde Es
If girlfriend would like to hear an ext about Restavek Freedom’s child advocacy program and also the actions we space taking to end slavery, contact us or inspect out our website (www.cg-tower.com).