We love equine movies… and movies with steeds in them. Until something poor happens come the horse.
You are watching: Man from snowy river horse died
Being the steed lovers (some can say steed crazy people) we are, we no doubt spent much of ours youth watching practically every steed movie we could get our hands on. Even if the movie wasn’t actually about horses, many of us most likely remember the steeds in movies an ext than something else. I may be date myself here, however how plenty of of us watched The black color Stallion and didn’t think we were part day going come gallop throughout the coast bareback and bridleless like Alec? (There’s still time, right?)
However, because that every cost-free running, exciting moment we lived with vicariously, there to be an same devastating and — let’s be ethical — downright traumatizing minute we had actually to endure to acquire our large screen equine fix. Below are nine movies the scarred united state for life because of what taken place to the horses.
Warning: We’ve consisted of some YouTube clips of the scenes. Us don’t actually recommend watching them unless you’re in the mood to ugly cry.
9. Two Bits & Pepper. Although this is a mainly fun-loving movie about two best friends who desire nothing an ext to ride a horse (Pepper) and pony (Two Bits) into town, there’s still a scene that provides us shudder. The low-down dirty kidnapping thugs try to scare 2 Bits by shoot in his general direction, however inadvertently hit the pony. Although 2 Bits provides it, the time we spend thinking that he doesn’t is sufficient to tear in ~ every horse-lover’s heart. In instance you missed this one, here’s the trailer:
8. Phar Lap. Phar Lap is based upon the true story of one Australian race horse that come to be a champion with the help of a secure boy. However, top top April 5, 1932, he mysteriously collapsed at a farm outside San Francisco. His fatality came 16 job after he won the Agua Caliente handicap in Tijuana, Mexico. He passed away in the arms of Tommy Woodcock, his dedicated groom. Many have actually speculated the Phar Lap to be poisoned (and in 2006 one scientist asserted to have actually proven this). The beginning of the movie shows Phar Lap’s death. As soon as Tommy Woodcock is stop Phar Lap’s head and he stop moving, us were wrecked. Add in the scenes once a hard-handed trainer whips him repeatedly, and we’re done.
7. Return to Snowy River. In this sequel to The guy From Snowy River, Jim Craig return to take up v his love interest, Jessica. Of food she has actually a jealousy suitor that steals Jim’s horses. Jim chases him down the steep embankment AGAIN and, this time, Patton shoots Jim Craig’s horse. It’s horrible. Why perform they constantly have come shoot the horse?
6. Hidalgo. Hidalgo is a an excellent flick. What add to to it is that Viggo Mortensen created such a nearby bond v TJ (the equine that play Hidalgo) that he purchased the after filming was done. The grit the the horse and rider make us love this film (for the many part).
But the component that scarred united state for life? One the the many obstacles of the Arabian desert gyeongju is pits v bamboo posts. In fact, Hidalgo falls into one and is injured, but he survives. One of the various other horses? not so lucky. It falls into the pit and is injured so badly the it demands to be put down. The only method available come the rider? Stabbing. Watching that was … much less than ideal.
5. The horse Whisperer. The accident step in this movie is rough, y’all. Between the friendship montage and also the graphic sights and sounds that the accident itself, this is no a scene for the pass out of heart. Also my non-horsey friend recall this one. Then once you add in the scene when Grace an initial sees Pilgrim after ~ the accident and also it’s all over.
4. Black Beauty. Admittedly, I believe it to be the book much more than the movie the upset me together a child, yet both space pretty traumatizing. Black color Beauty’s friend, Ginger is a typical chestnut mare who won’t stand for negative treatment. Until, the is, she ill an injury and also has challenge staying sound. After that, she alters hands repeatedly, is manhandled and also starved. Her life i do not care so awful that black color Beauty wishes she has passed away so as to end she suffering. The finish of chapter 40, “Poor Ginger,” sums it up best:
“A quick time after this a cart through a dead steed in it passed our cab-stand. The head hung the end of the cart-tail, the lifeless tongue was slowly dropping through blood; and the sunken eyes! but I can’t speak of them, the sight was also dreadful. It was a chestnut horse with a long, slim neck. I observed a white streak down the forehead. I believe it was Ginger; i hoped that was, because that then her troubles would be over. Oh! if men were much more merciful they would certainly shoot us prior to we pertained to such misery.”
That gained me.
3. Ruffian. Ruffian is a heart-wrenching tale no issue what. The Thoroughbred filly the went undefeated until she damaged down in the race against Kentucky Derby winner Foolish pleasure at Belmont Park breaks our hearts. What’s worse is discovering that lock tried to aid her however that in her scare she damaged her other leg, which caused the devastating selection to put her down. The Hollywood version of the story play up this catastrophic moment, as it is wont to do. The result is this traumatizing scene:
2. Dances v Wolves. There space so many upsetting things about this movie, yet I quiet can’t watch Cisco die. The doesn’t matter that they’re actors, ns haven’t forgiven the Union soldiers in the buckboard wagon for shooting the horse. And also this is AFTER the horse managed not to obtain shot once John Dunbar speak him throughout a suicide attempt at the start of the film. Climate they shoot 2 Socks. The worst component of it is that Dunbar was going ago to his station to retrieve a diary so the the Union soldiers wouldn’t know whatever that had actually happened v the Sioux people Dunbar befriends, however some illiterate soldiers were utilizing it as toilet record and threw the in the creek anyway. Guys, I just can’t. In case you missed it or are a masochist, a clip of the scene is below. Don’t clock it. It’s horrible.
1. The NeverEnding Story.
See more: How Many Quarts Is 128 Ounces To Quarts, Convert 128 Fl Oz To Qt
hand down, this needs to be the scene the upset me many as a child. Not just when it comes to horse movies, but, like, of all movies. And also that’s speak something due to the fact that my parents didn’t filter what ns watched (heck, ns saw Nightmare top top Elm Street when I was 5 and Silence that the Lambs IN THE THEATRE as soon as I was 10). But when Artax drowns/sinks/gives up/whatever in the Swamp of sadness no matter exactly how much Atreyu begs the to walk on or yells in ~ him, it damaged me. I am gaining emotional just thinking about it. Sure, Falkor the lucky Dragon is awesome and also Artax comes ago in the end, yet it doesn’t matter. By that point, the damage is done.
Years that therapy and also many glasses the wine have actually done nothing to alleviate the trauma resulted in by this scenes. Which was the worst for you come watch? allow us recognize in the poll below!
Shout the end to mine friends at The western Thoroughbred, who relived these awful on-screen moments through me to help with this piece.