This DIY (Do it Yourself) post covers replacement of the time belt, guide and tension pulleys because that the 2004 Hyundai Elantra and Kia Spectra having the 2.0-liter DOHC engine configuration.
You are watching: Hyundai accent timing belt replacement procedure
The very same belt, pulleys, and water pump may be used in the:
Hyundai Elantra (99–07)Hyundai Tiburon (97–07)Hyundai Tucson (05–07)Kia Spectra (04–06)Kia Sportage (05–06)
The outlined belt and pulley replacement instructions may be provided on these other design vehicles; however, the removed of components to get to the time belt might be slightly different.
Gates provides an acceptable timing Belt component Kit (belt, two pulleys, and also water pump).
Since the water pump is not thrust by the timing belt, you do not save lot time or cost by instead of the pump along with the time belt. However, instead of of the water pump/alternator belt in addition to the timing belt is highly recommended. A damaged belt will conveniently lead come the engine overheating and may an outcome in expensive fix (i.e. Swollen head gasket).
The belt adjust service interval set by Hyundai because that this engine is 60,000 miles. The mileage of the auto being serviced in this post was 103,000 miles.
In the indict below, each written procedure is accompanied by a succession of thumbnailed photos with arrows pointing to nuts, bolts, or other components needing removal. You can enlarge a picture by clicking its thumbnail.
At the finish of the short article is a video showing the procedure.
Tools Needed:Metric ¼”, 3/8” & ½" sockets, ratchet wrenches, extensions, box wrenches½” breaker bar
A two-part video is detailed below (Installation adhered to by Removal), attach by step-by-step instructions and photos.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Hyundai Elantra timing Belt Replacement
1. Remove All Accessory BeltsRemove the 5 bolts the secure the plastic engine cover.Remove the passenger next wheel and remove the side engine splash guard secured by 2 10mm bolts.From listed below the car, loosen the Alternator Pivot Bolt Nut and also from over the auto the Belt Tensioner Locking Bolt. Turn the Alternator Belt anxiety Adjustment Bolt counter-clockwise to relax the belt anxiety then eliminate the belt.Loosen the power Steering Pump Pivot Bolt. Loosen the Belt Tensioner Locking Bolt. Revolve the power Steering Belt anxiety Adjustment Bolt counter-clockwise to relax the belt stress and anxiety then remove the belt.From inside the passenger side wheel well, loosen the A/C wheel nut. Revolve the Belt Tensioner adjustment Bolt counter-clockwise to relieve the belt anxiety then remove the belt. After ~ removing the belt, store the A/C belt separate from the Alternator Belt. The belts deserve to be quickly mixed up as result of their similar lengths.Remove the A/C pulley nut and remove the sheave assembly. Remove of the assembly will certainly ease eliminate of the next engine mount.
2. Remove the next Engine mountain ComponentsSupport the engine block through a hydraulic Jack. Location a wood block in between the oil pan and also the jack to prevent damage to the pan. Apply pressure to the pan until the engine moves slightly upward. This will relieve pressure on the next motor mount.Remove the Aluminum parentheses that web links the right side motor Mount with the Engine Mount. There is one nut that bolts to the motor Mount stud, and also one bolt and also two nuts the bolts to the Engine Mount.Remove the key that links to the rear side Engine Mount.Remove the rear side Engine Mount. This removal is important to get clearance to eliminate the lower timing belt cover.Remove the three 10mm lengthy bolts that secure the strength Steering Pump Reservoir.Remove the three bolts that secure the appropriate side motor Mount.
3. Remove the Alternator and Power Steering Pump drive PulleyThese pulleys space sandwiched together and also bolted ~ above the Water Pump with 4 10mm bolts. Lock will call for removal to obtain removal clearance because that the timing belt cover. The easiest technique on removing bolt stress is with a ¼” 10mm socket attached come an extension and also a ¼” ratchet wrench. While host the pulley with the appropriate hand, apply torque to the ratchet wrench to remove the bolts.
If instead of of the Water Pump is desired, the alternator mounting clip will call for removal. The pump deserve to then be unbolted, jarred loose and removed.
4. Eliminate the Crankshaft PulleyIf an air, electric or ½” mechanically hand influence driver is not available, the Crankshaft pulley Bolt have the right to be eliminated by positioning/securing a breaker bar come the ground and also attaching a socket come the breaker bar and Pulley bolt. Turnover the engine for around one 2nd to enable the torque native the Starter motor to revolve the engine when the breaker bar avoids the sheave bolt from moving. This should administer enough speak to remove the sheave bolt.
After the pulley bolt has actually been removed, attempt to remove the Crankshaft Pulley. If the pulley will not slide off, connect a wheel Removal Tool and also use a ratchet wrench and also socket to use pulling pressure.
Remove the steel pulley cover sit in prior of the lower timing belt cover.
5. Eliminate the Upper and Lower time Belt CoversRemove the Engine sheathe Bracket.Remove the 4 10mm bolts that secure the top Timing Belt Cover. Pull off the cover.Remove the 10mm bolts that secure the lower Timing Belt Cover. The cover need to be pulled from listed below the engine. To lull removal, the cover can be contempt bent to happen obstructions avoiding its passage (i.e. A/C pulley, Water Pump, etc.)
6. Set Engine to TDC (Top Dead Center) prior to Removing the timing BeltRe-thread the pulley Bolt right into the Crankshaft and also rotate the Crankshaft clockwise (with a ratchet wrench) until the Camshaft Timing note Hole is in alignment through the pink alignment mark.Use white paint (Oil-base paint Marker stick from any kind of artist repaint shop or Walmart) and place added alignment marks because that the camshaft and crankshaft.After alignment and the paint marks have been made, the wheel Bolt have the right to be removed by attaching one of two people a crate or ratchet wrench & socket come the bolt then 'slapping' the handle. This have to jolt the bolt loosened without psychic the alignment marks.
7. Eliminate the time Belt and PulleysUnbolt and also remove the timing Belt Tension pulley (left side of the engine).Using a crate wrench, slightly move clockwise (1 degree) the Camshaft Pulley and remove the belt. This slight development in the camshaft will allow some belt slack to ease brand-new belt installation.Unbolt and also remove the Belt overview Pulley (lower, appropriate side of the engine).
8. Bolt on new Tensioner and also Guide Pulley, and Mount new Timing BeltTo eliminate Pulley bolts from every coming loose after re-assembly, use thread-lock to the bolt threads. Not absolutely necessary however provides tranquility of mind.
Bolt ~ above the new Belt Tensioner pulley (finger chop only) and also the guide Pulley (full tension).Starting from the Crankshaft, weave the brand-new timing belt v the guide Pulley, over the Crankshaft Pulley and finally over the Tensioner Pulley. Push the Tensioner Pulley versus the belt to eliminate slack and also tighten the Tensioner sheave Bolt.Remove the belt slack ~ above the appropriate side that the belt (between the Camshaft, overview Pulley and Crankshaft) by rotating the Camshaft counter counter-clockwise (around 1 degree) v a box wrench. Examine the paint alignment marks. Whatever should it is in in alignment.If the alignment is good, loosen the Tensioner pulley Bolt it rotates finger tight.While maintaining tension on the belt via the Allen Tool, torque under the Tensioner pulley-block Bolt. With the right amount the tension, the belt ~ above the left side must able come twist roughly 45 degrees between the Crankshaft and Tensioner Pulley. If too lot or also little, re-adjust.
9. ReassemblyReassembly that the removed components can be accomplished by performing the reversal that the remove steps. Use anti-seize or high-temperature grease on bolt object showing any type of corrosion.
A brief re-assembly summary:Re-attach the Upper and Lower timing Belt Covers. The bottom cover need to be guided indigenous the bottom the the engine and also slightly squeezed to obtain clearance indigenous obstructions.Re-attach the Engine sheathe Bracket.Grease the Crankshaft prior to mounting the Crankshaft Pulley. Climate fit the Crankshaft metal pulley cover, Crankshaft Pulley, pulley Bolt Washer and Pulley Bolt. The pulley-block Bolt have the right to be torqued on with a Mechanical impact Driver easily accessible at many Auto sleeve stores that carry out tool rentals.Re-attach the left next Motor Mount.Re-attach the A/C pulley-block Assembly, Pulley and Belt.Re-attach the Alternator and also Power Steering Pump drive Pulley.Install and also re-bolt the side Engine mountain Plate, motor Mount, Aluminum Mount and Power Steering liquid Container Mount.Re-attach strength Steering Pump and Alternator belts.Re-attach Engine sheathe bracket.Re-attach Engine Cover.
This short article is accurate and also true come the ideal of the author’s knowledge. Contents is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does no substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technological matters.
See more: What Is 21/24 In Simplest Form, Simplify 21/24
Questions & Answers
Question: I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra restricted with 153,000 kilometres on it, and also the timing belts have actually never to be changed. It should have actually been changed according come the manual at 100,000 km. I am ns lucky the it is still working. It will certainly cost around $700 to change it. Have to I stroked nerves replacing that or just take mine chances? how much longer have the right to it last?
Answer: I've to be amazed at exactly how long Kia or Hyundai time belts last. Walk a timing belt task on a Kia Sportage critical year v 170K miles but the water pump showed signs of wear. So I'm no so sure around luck ... They carry out last longer than the recommended change interval. Driving beyond the recommended interval is a crap shoot. They could go at any type of time yet usually offer you some indication they're around to go. Belt large won't enable the auto to run appropriate ... There's hesitation when taking off from a dead stop. The water pump may start leaking or making noise.
$700 is a small steep for an Elantra belt change. A an excellent technician should have the ability to do it in approximately 3.5 hours including the water pump. Under $500 would be much more appropriate. I'd shop around for a better price if i were you.