DavenportEnglish 11 short ANSWER STUDY guide QUESTIONS -The Crucible
1. "So currently they and their church discovered it vital to deny any type of other sect its freedom, lest their brand-new Jerusalem be defiled and corrupted by wrong and also deceitful ideas." What is the irony in the statement?
2. Define how the witch-hunt years were a time of "general revenge."
3. Identify and also describe Tituba, Abigail, and also Betty.
4. Why go Mrs. Putnam believe there space witches in Salem?
5. Why is thomas Putnam bitter?
6. Parris says, "Oh, Abigail, what proper payment because that my charity! now I to be undone!" What does that mean?
7. What is Mary's debate to Abby?
8. Describe Proctor.
9. What happened in between Abigail and John Proctor prior to the opening of the play?
10. What was the "sign" that Betty was bewitched?
11. Identify and also describe Francis and also Rebecca Nurse.
12. Describe the politics relationship in between the Putnam and Nurse families.
13. What walk Rebecca carry out to Betty?
14. What is Rebecca's explanation of the girls' behavior?
15. "There space wheels within wheels in this village and fires within fires." Explain.
16. What is Proctor's reason for his not on regular basis attending church?
17. What walk Parris want?
18. Giles says, "Think on that now, it's a deep thing, and also dark as a pit." come what is he referring literally and also symbolically?
19. What do Putnam and Proctor argue about? What go this show?
20. That is Rev. Man Hale, and why does he come to Salem?
21. Hale says, "They
22. Come what go Tituba confess? Why?
23. What perform the girls do at the end of plot One?
1. Whereby does Elizabeth want John come go, and also what does she want him to carry out there?
2. What is John's response to her prodding?
3. What gift walk Mary offer Elizabeth?
4. What to be the "evidence" against Sarah Good?
5. Why doesn't Proctor desire Mary to go earlier to court?
6. Why does Elizabeth think Abigail wants to death her?
7. Why go Hale concerned Proctor's house?
8. What things space "suspicious" around Proctor and his family?
9. Hale asks Elizabeth if she believes in witches. What is she reply?
10. ~ above what charge(s) was Rebecca Nurse arrested?
11. Why go Cheever concerned the Proctor house?
12. Explain the definition of the needle in the "poppet."
13. What will occur to Proctor if he tries to discredit Abby?
14. Why doesn't Mary want to testify about the doll?
1. Why do Giles and also Francis want to talk to Danforth?
2. What is Parris's argument against Proctor?
3. What does mary tell Danforth?
4. Once Danforth hears that Elizabeth is pregnant, what does that allow?
5. What record did ninety-one people sign?
6. ". . . A human is either through this court or he have to be counted against it, there be no roadway between." describe the importance of Danforth's statement.
7. What quote did Proctor usage to aid Mary stay brave?
8. That what go Giles suspicion Putnam?
9. What is Hale's difficulty as Proctor and his friends current evidence to Danforth?
10. Hawthorne thinks of a test for Mary. What is it? can she execute it? Why or why not?
11. Proctor call Abigail a whore, and also he confesses his lechery. Danforth tests Proctor's declare by calling because that Elizabeth and asking she why Abigail to be dismissed. What does Elizabeth say? Why?
12. What carry out the girls do to Mary? What is she response?
13. What happens to Proctor?
14. What does Hale do?
1. What explanation does Cheever provide for Parris' "mad look"?
2. What go Abigail do?
3. Parris says, "You cannot cave this sort. Over there is danger for me." What "sort" does he mean, and what is the hazard to him?
4. Describe Danforth's factor that a pardon would not be just.
5. Why has Hale come earlier to Salem?
6. What walk Hale desire Elizabeth to do?
7. What happened to Giles?
8. Proctor says, "My honesty is broke, Elizabeth, i am no great man." Explain.
9. What "confession" did Elizabeth make to John?
10. What did Proctor perform after he signed the confession? Why?
11. "I have offered you my soul; leaving me my name!" Explain.
12. "He have actually his kindness now. God forbid ns take that from him!" What go Elizabeth mean?