19. San Diego, CARatio: one location for every 2,788 civilization
With a population of more than 1.3 million, mountain Diego is the second-largest city in California. Although enjoy it a vast diversity of religious congregations, the beautiful city provides its citizens only 480 places dedicated to religion. Situated near La Jolla, the san Diego California (Mormon) holy place is a stunning framework bearing the picture of an ice sculpture. The white, palace-style building is 190-feet tall.Image courtesy the Antoine Taveneaux.
You are watching: City with most churches per capita
17. San Antonio, TXRatio: one location for every 2,465 civilization
With 561 religious-oriented structures serving that 1.3 million residents, the 2nd most inhabited city in Texas achives 17th place in our list. The Cathedral of mountain Fernando, also known as the Church of Nuestra Senora de laCandelaria y Guadalupe, is just one of the oldest energetic cathedrals in joined States, built between 1738 and 1750. Over 5,000 world participate in weekend masses year-round.Image courtesy of Jim Nix.
15. San Francisco, CARatio: one ar for every 1,564 human being
In that rather little surroundings of just 47 square miles, SF is not all business and tourism, but additionally religion and spirituality. 528 spiritual locations offer the city"s residents. The oldest surviving structure inSan Francisco, Mission san Francisco de Asis, also known as "Mission Dolores", was started in 1776. That welcomes anyone who wants to learn around its unique history, or to enjoy its serene garden.Image courtesy of Scott Beale.
13. Miami Area, FLRatio: one place for every 1,303 civilization Miami brings a far-reaching spiritual contribution, counting as numerous as 462 spiritual locations. Among the local spiritual landmarks is Miami Beach community Church, the first church ever established in Miami (in 1921).It is also really progressive, as the church taken on open communion - definition that all people, no matter who they are or whereby they space in your life"s journey, room welcome to participate.Image courtesy of Kwong Yee Cheng.
11. Chicago, ILRatio: one location for every 1,224 world
The "Windy City" has every little thing a contemporary metropolis have to have: business, technology, education, sports, and last but not the very least religion. Chicago stands in 11th location in state of number of spiritualvenues (2,218) because that its populace of 2.7 million residents. A beautiful architecture and religious enclave is holy Name Cathedral, the chair of the roman inn Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, and also one the the biggest in the U.S. Image courtesy that chris Smith.
9. Houston, TXRatio: one ar for every 1,085 people
The fourth largest city in the U.S. By population, counting over 2.1 million inhabitants, Houston is house to an outstanding 1,991 religious buildings, such as churches, synagogues, cemeteries, convents, and other together establishments.A remarkable example is Lakewood Church, a non-denominational Christian mega-church, and the biggest congregation in the joined States.
7. Dallas, TXRatio: one ar for every 909 people
With a wide variety of beliefs and 1,366 spiritual establishments the welcome its 1.2 million residents, Dallas ranking no. 7. The Texan city is home to the an initial Baptist Church, established in 1868.It was one of the many expensive church building projects in modern American history. It also owns and operates a school, a college, several radio stations, and also Dallas Life, a mission for the homeless. Picture courtesy of Aidan Wakely-Mulroney.
5. Memphis, TNRatio: one ar for every 804 world
Memphis is house to 815 religious venues devoted to 655,155 residents of numerous different faiths. Calvary Episcopal Church is a historical Episcopal church, started in 1832.The nave is the earliest public building in consistent use in the city. Image courtesy of thomas R Machnitzki.
See more: What Is 70 Percent Of 25 ? Or, What Percent Is 70 Of 25
3. Jacksonville, FLRatio: one place for every 562 world
A city of 747 square miles, Jacksonville secured a 3rd spot on account the its 1,488 places devoted to spirituality for all faiths and spiritual groups. One of them is the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception,the oldest Catholic congregation in Jacksonville. The Church was freshly granted the designation boy Basilica because of that historical and spiritual significance and also the worthiness that its art and also architecture.Image courtesy the Ebyabe.
1. Indianapolis, INRatio: one ar for every 289 people
Congrats Indianapolis! Here"s an superior number: 2,892 spiritual and spiritual venues serving simply 834,852 inhabitants. That"s one place for every 289 civilization (wow!), ranking Indianapolis no. 1 in our optimal 20!The Scottish Rite Cathedral, situated in downtown Indianapolis, is just one of the largest Masonic buildings, and has been defined as one of the finest examples that Neo-Gothic design in the united States. Photo courtesy the Poco a poco .