Place her fetal pig in the dissecting pan ventral next up. Usage string to "hog-tie" your pig so the the legs are spread eagle and also not in your way. Usage scissors to reduced through the skin and muscles according to the diagram. Execute not remove the umbilical cord. In the first section, you will only examine the ab cavity (the area listed below the ribcage).
You are watching: A branch of the large intestine a dead end
After perfect the cuts, situate the umbilical vein that leads native the umbilical cord to the liver. Friend will need to cut this vein in order to open up up the abdominal muscle cavity.
Your pig may be filled through water and preservative, drain over the sink if necessary and also rinse organs. Find each that the guts below, check the box.
1. Diaphragm. This muscle divides the thoracic and abdominal cavity and also is situated near the ribcage. The diaphragm aids in breathing.
2. Liver. This structure is lobed and also is the largest organ in the body. The liver is responsible because that making bile because that digestion.
3. Gallbladder. This greenish organ is located underneath the liver; the bile duct attaches the gallbladder to the duodenum. The gallbladder stores bile and sends it come the duodenum, via the bile duct.
4. Stomach. A pouch shaped organ that rests just underneath and also to the pig"s left. At the peak of the stomach, you"ll uncover the esophagus. The stomach is responsible for churching and breaking down food.
5. At each end of the stomach room valves that manage food entering and leaving the stomach. In ~ the stomach is the cardiac sphincter valve, and also at the duodenum is the pyloric sphincter valve. View the inside of the stomach by slicing it open up lengthwise.
6. The stomach leads to the small intestine, i m sorry is written of the duodenum (straight portion just after ~ the stomach) and the ileum (curly part).
7. The ileum is held together through mesentery. In the little intestine, additional digestion occurs and nutrients are soaked up through the arteries in the mesentery. This arteries are dubbed mesenteric arteries.
8. Pancreas: a bumpy organ located along the underside that the stomach, a pancreatic duct leads to the duodenum. The pancreas makes insulin, i m sorry is essential for the suitable uptake of sugars from the blood.
9. Spleen: a flattened body organ that lies across the stomach and also toward the too much left next of the pig. The spleen shop blood and also is not part of the digestive system. On the underside the the spleen, find the splenic artery.
10. In ~ the end of the ileum, whereby it widens to end up being the large intestine, a "dead-end" branch is visible. This is the cecum. The cecum helps the pig digest tree material.
11. The large intestine can be traced come the rectum. The rectum lies towards the ago of the pig and will not be moveable. The rectum opens up to the outside of the pig, or the anus. The large intestine absorbs water indigenous the spend food, any undigested food is save on computer in the rectum as feces.
12. Lying on either next of the spine are two bean shaped organs: the kidneys. The kidneys room responsible for removing harmful substances indigenous the blood, these substances space excreted together urine. (more top top this later)
13. Two umbilical vessels have the right to be checked out in the umbilical cord, and the planarization urinary bladder lies in between them.
| || |
Identify the frameworks on the diagram.
Identify the body organ (or structure)14. _____________________________ opening (valve) between stomach and small intestine.15. _____________________________ shop bile, lies underneath the liver.16. _____________________________ A branch the the big intestine, a dead end.17. _____________________________ off the thoracic and ab cavity; aids breathing.18. _____________________________ Membrane the holds the coils that the little intestine.19. _____________________________ The straight component of the little intestine simply after the stomach.20. _____________________________ Empties bile right into the duodenum indigenous the gallbladder.21. _____________________________ The last stretch the the huge intestine prior to it exit at the anus.22. _____________________________ Bumpy framework under the stomach; provides insulin23. _____________________________ Lies between the 2 umbilical vessels.
Urinary and Reproductive Systems
See more: What Two Continents Are Completely In The Western Hemisphere ?
Female In the female pig, situate two p shaped ovaries located just posterior to the kidneys and connected come the curly oviducts. map the oviducts towards the posterior to discover that they unify at the uterus. Trace the uterus to the vagina. The vagina will certainly actually will show up as a continuation of the uterus.
Label the diagrams (Identify the male and also the female)
Dissection the the Thoracic Cavity
You will need to cut through the pig"s sternum and also expose the chest cavity (thoracic cavity).